Sunday 3 June 2012

(In)Competence

Its been almost a fortnight since my last instalment and in case any of you were wondering, I remain in search of graduate employment. However, despite my silence on the blogosphere, I have at least some positive news having had a telephone interview for the graduate scheme of an unnamed (cough) entertainments company. This being only the first stage in a long and arduous selection process, I'm not hugely optimistic of a positive outcome but at least they haven't thrown my application in the dustbin just yet...

The telephone interview took a very specific format and has prompted me to discuss a particular aspect of the graduate recruitment process: competene based questioning. With many large companies outsourcing the early stages of their selection process to recruitment consultants, the questions posed in initial telephone interviews are often vague and unspecific. They ask not about a candidate's suitability for a specific role, but instead ask for examples of certain key competencies, from leadership and teamwork to creativity and lateral thinking.

While I feel I am perfectly capable of demonstrating the majority of these faculties in given situations, I am frankly terrible at thinking of impressive and original examples, especially when prompted on the spot. No matter how many of these competencies I attempt to identify in advance and try to prepare for, I am invariably stumped by one or two I have neglected. In my case, this usually results in me bumbling my way through a fallacious and long-winded story loosely based on a distant past experience. In a recent unsuccessful interview, I created a largely fictitious (but very dramatic) tale of a teammate breaking an ankle on my gold Duke of Edinburgh's expedition as an example of my exceptional teamwork skills! Otherwise, I invariably resort to generic, unspecific and thoroughly unimpressive examples from my academic career which seem to go down like a lead balloon. Employers want substance it seems.

There is very little to stop candidates from simply making up examples of particular competencies. I have an old friend (who I hope is reading) that shamelessly added a charity climb of Kilimanjaro to his CV! It seems highly unlikely that any employer would take the time and effort to identify the veracity of a candidate's claims. So what are employers actually testing? This kind of questioning is just another meaningless way of filtering out a few more candidates, specifically those that lack the creativity or sheer gumption of others.

It is particularly frustrating to pass an initial screening process only to fall at the first significant hurdle, before you are given an opportunity to talk about the job or even company for which you have applied to work. It's just another one of the many hoops that graduates must jump through to land that first job. While lying is likely to land you in hot water further down the line, we've all been tempted to use a little creative licence to bolster our chances. For many of us, the reality of our day to day existence isn't quite enough to spark the interest of an employer searching for that 'unique' and 'special' candidate. Selling yourself is the name of the game and unfortunately it is a shameless and cynical process.

If any of those reading would like to share some of the tales you've told at interview that demonstrate what a talented person you are then I'd love to hear them.

Thanks once again for reading and don't forget to comment below...

4 comments:

  1. I love this blog! It usually reflects exactly what I've gone through/ am going through. I did my Masters because I thought it would be easier to get a job after, but sadly I am now working two exhausting, mind-numbingly monotonous jobs as an usher at two theatres, which is basically a glorified bin-cleaner. yay?

    After having worked as a charity street fundraiser (or chugger as they're so lovingly called), I applied to work at a retail store having no experience of retail/sales. I'm not proud of it, but I made up other department stores I'd worked at (including the name/reference/address!), as well as those awful 'tell us about your previous experience' questions. Because, I was desperate for a job, and like you, (still) don't understand what recruiters want, since it obviously isn't qualifications or enthusiasm! When you find out, do let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is despicable that someone would lie about climbing Mt. Kilimangiro, shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reply Mihika - I find the whole process utterly soul destroying. I understand that simply having a degree doesn't entitle me to a job, but to have worked hard for four years only to have our qualifications and 'experience' dismissed at the drop of a hat is incredibly frustrating. Best of luck in your search, I'm sure in years to come we will look back on this period and see it as a minor hardship on the pathway to success!

    Matt - I don't know how that particular individual can sleep at night. Maybe you can find out seeing as you live with him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hough can I just say that the anonymous mountaineer and Benicassim buddy in this blog is a genius. Thank you, I could make up a whole load of crap that I may or may not have done in South America!! This is clearly a CV panacea - Hough, get yourself on an exotic holiday...

    ReplyDelete