Friday 20 April 2012

A Difficult Balancing Act

Like many before me, I face the difficult balancing act of staying afloat financially while searching for relevant work experience that will help me in my quest for graduate employment. It is perhaps my greatest regret that during my time at university I did little to secure the placements and internships that seem to be so sought after by employers.

Now, six months after graduation, I am in a tricky situation. I am already lumbered with £20,000+ of student debt and having received significant financial support from my parents over my four years of studying, I am keen to finally support myself. I currently work full-time for £6.13 per hour and it is a job that I do enjoy, if you had told my 14 year old self that I would be operating roller coasters for a living I would have been delighted. I bring home about £200 per week which is plenty considering I live at home; however, my work does little to gain me the kind of experience that will secure me that all important first graduate job.

I have set my sights on a job in politics or the media. Having submitted a number of applications for work as a political researcher with little success, I have come to the conclusion that I must be prepared to offer my services for free if I want to progress up the career ladder. There are many internships and placements that would appeal. However, given that our political nation is focused so heavily on London (a consequence of having one of the most centralised systems of government in Europe!), I am left in a financial quandary. These internships offer 'expenses' which amount to a Zone 1 railcard and a fiver for lunch - factor in living costs and twelve weeks working for free in London is an insurmountable financial barrier.

Lets look at some basic figures - a modest flat in central London could set you back upwards of £150 per week; a minimum of £1800 over a twelve week period. Add to this £40 per week for food and another £30 for having some form of social life then we are talking upwards of £2500. It would seem internships are the reserve of the wealthy, the privileged or those who are fortunate enough to live within commuting distance of the capital. I realise there are opportunities outside of London, but in certain sectors these are few and far between. It is a frustrating situation.

In addition, firms seem oblivious to the financial burdens that job seekers can face. Upon submitting an application to a London based media firm earlier this year, I was asked to 'call in for a 10 minute chat' to see if I was suitable for interview. Considering a 10 minute chat would require a £60 rail fare and an entire day off work I was understandably reluctant.

It would seem that for now I must content myself with earning a fraction above the minimum wage until I can find an affordable way to gain 'relevant experience'. I would be lying if I did not say that writing this blog was a shameless attempt to prove my employability and gain such experience in more unusual (and cheaper!) ways.

Thank you for reading, if you've had any similar experiences I strongly encourage you to comment...


No comments:

Post a Comment